Mason Greenwood and Manchester United have been slammed on social media after the player’s statement on his future claimed he was ‘cleared of all charges’.
The Red Devils confirmed on Monday that the 21-year-old will leave the club after both parties agreed that it was better to let him recommence his career ‘away from Old Trafford’.
Greenwood was arrested in January 2022 on suspicion of a number of offences including attempted rape. The Crown Prosecution Service dropped the charges in February after key witnesses withdrew and new material came to light.
The forward said in a statement on Monday: ‘I was brought up to know that violence or abuse in any relationship is wrong, I did not do the things I was accused of, and in February I was cleared of all charges. I take my share of responsibility for the situations which led to the social media post.’
His claims that he was ‘cleared’ have been criticised on social media, after the charges were actually dropped.
Loose Women presenter Denise Welch tweeted: ‘Mason Greenwood was not ‘cleared of all charges’. The charges against him were dropped. Completely different!!!’
Lawyer, Adam Wagner added: ‘He wasn’t cleared of all – or any charges. The charges were dropped. So Greenwood’s statement, which I assume was agreed with the club, is misleading.’
One person who was vocal before United’s decision was announced was Countdown co-host, Rachel Riley.
Riley revealed last week she would stop supporting the club if they brought Greenwood back into the first team fold, tweeting: ‘I won’t be able to support United if Greenwood remains at the club.
‘As an example, when it comes to VAWG (violence against women and girls), less than 1 percent of rapes reported to police lead to conviction. We’ve all seen and heard enough. Pretending this is ok would be a huge part of the problem.’
After Monday’s update, she reposted a tweet which read: ‘Something necessary to point out.
‘Greenwood’s statement states that Greenwood was ‘Cleared of all charges’. Mason Greenwood has never been cleared of any charges. The charges were dropped by the accuser.’
Manchester United said: ‘Based on the evidence available to us, we have concluded that the material posted online did not provide a full picture and that Mason did not commit the offences in respect of which he was originally charged.
‘That said, as Mason publicly acknowledges today, he has made mistakes which he is taking responsibility for.’
‘All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United.
‘It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.’
Manchester United CEO Richard Arnold’s statement said that the club discussed the allegations with ‘Mason and others involved in the case after the charges were dropped’.
Arnold said that the alleged victim requested the police to drop the case in April 2022 and that they were provided with alternative explanations for the audio recording and for the images posted online
Arnold added: ‘While I am satisfied that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with, Mason’s accepted that he has made mistakes which he takes responsibility for.
‘I am also mindful of the challenge that Mason would face rebuilding his career and raising a baby together with his partner in the harsh spotlight of Manchester United. Further, this case has provoked strong opinions, and it is my responsibility to minimise any distraction to the unity we are seeking within the club.’