The president of the Argentine Football Association, Claudio Tapia, has confirmed superstar footballer, Lionel Messi won’t miss any games for his country as the result of a red card handed out to him in the 2019 Copa America.
Messi was controversially sent off in a Copa America third-place playoff against Chile in July last year and was handed a one game ban.
Messi had been shown a red card following a clash with Gary Medel in the 37th minute. The decision to send off Messi annoyed him as he claimed Brazil was cheating in the competition.
“There is no doubt, the whole thing is set up for Brazil,” he said.
“I hope the VAR and referees don’t play any part in the final and that Peru can compete but it looks tough to me.
“I did not want to be part of this corruption, we shouldn’t have to be part of this disrespect we suffered during the Copa America.
“We could have gone further but we weren’t allowed into the final. Corruption, referees and all the rest stopped people from enjoying the football.
“I always tell the truth and I’m honest, that is what keeps me calm, if what I say has repercussions that is not my business.
“I think that what happened is because of what I said [against Brazil]. What I said last time perhaps came back to haunt me.”
The South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) earlier said Messi would have to sit out a competitive match, but ahead of World Cup qualifiers against Ecuador and Bolivia next month, FA president Tapia has successfully challenged the outstanding ban stating that the statute of limitations on the ban had expired.
The Argentine FA took to their official Twitter handle to announce the news on Friday September 11.
Messi will now feature for Argentina against Ecuador and Bolivia.