British pop star, Rex Orange County has been cleared of all charges after being accused of sexually assaulting a woman on six occasions following a night out last summer.
The 24-year-old singer whose real name is Alexander O’Connor, was alleged to have carried out the offences on June 1 and 2 last year.
Revealing the news on Instagram today, the singer wrote: ‘I have always denied these allegations and am grateful that the independent evidence has cleared me of wrongdoing.
He claimed there were ‘inaccuracies’ in the allegations, adding that he was wrongly accused of the taxi assault.
He said investigators only had the complainant’s account of what happened and said CCTV footage ‘contradicted their version of events’.
O’Connor said he wanted to ‘clarify details’ about the allegations.
‘The only evidence against me was the individual’s account. However, CCTV footage obtained by the police contradicted their version of events.
‘Their partner was also present throughout the evening in question and gave a statement to the police which did not support the allegations against me.’
He thanked his family and others close to him for their ‘continued support’.
A CPS spokesperson said: ‘CPS prosecutors have a duty to keep each case under review. Having carefully considered all the evidence, our legal test for a prosecution was no longer met and so we will not be continuing a prosecution.
‘We will always seek to prosecute sexual offences, where our legal test is met, no matter how challenging.’