The population in Switzerland is increasing, with the data from the Federal Statistical Office (FSO) revealing that the population increased by 0.9 per cent in 2021, taking the total population to 8.8 million, showing a demographic growth more evident than in the previous years, while the population is aging.
According to the press release, the increase accounted for 76,600 more people living in Switzerland than in the previous year.
FSO reveals that the main driver for the population growth is migration, as in 2022, Switzerland registered 190,900 immigrants with 88.5 per cent of them being foreign nationals. In addition, 122,100 people emigrated – 31,300 Swiss nationals and 90,900 foreigners. Both, immigration and emigration rose by 15.2 and 4.6 per cent respectively in 2021.
“Differentiated according to nationality, since 1981 the largest number of Swiss people have immigrated to Switzerland each year. In 2022, German nationals made up the largest immigrant group for the first time. They accounted for 24,200 immigrants and Swiss nationals for 21,800,” FSO explains.
As per foreigners who immigrated or emigrated in 2021, Germans, Italians, French, Portuguese and Spanish nationals were among the most common nationalities, accounting for 46 per cent of immigration and 51 per cent of emigration of foreign nationals.
The migration balance, which describes the difference between immigration and emigration has soared from 19,900 to 68,800. The percentage change in international net migration was higher in the cantons of Basel-Stadt, Basel-Landschaft and Appenzell Ausserrhoden while Glarus was the only canton to experience a decrease in net migration.
Compared to other EU countries, the population growth rate was similar to the ones recorded in Denmark and Liechtenstein (both one per cent), while the highest rates were recorded in Malta, Iceland and the Czech Republic, which recorded three per cent increases.
Over the last five years, the population growth in the country fluctuated between 0.7 per cent and 0.9 per cent, with 2022 recording the highest increase.
As per the nationality, 74 per cent of the population are Swiss nationals and the remaining 26 per cent are foreign nationals, who witnessed a 2.3 per cent increase of 51,800 more inhabitants in the country in 2022. Similarly, the Swiss population witnessed an increase of 0.4 per cent or 24,800 more residents than in the previous year.
“The population increased most in the canton of Schaffhausen (1.5 per cent) compared to the previous year. The Swiss resident population grew most strongly in the canton of Friborg (0.8 per cent) in 2022, while the foreign population grew the most in the canton of Nidwalden (6.7 per cent; +456 people),” the press release explains.
The Swiss population continues to grow older, as the number of people aged 65 increased by 1.8 per cent, reaching a total of 1.69 million. In addition, the the number of Swiss residents aged 80 and over is up by 2,9 per cent, totalling 472,000.